Here's what happened last night:
- Three different stories vied for attention last night. The one that had me most intrigued was the Ramblin' Wreck holding tough and ALMOST beating North Carolina. It didn't even look like UNC was struggling, just that GT was able to keep up. I now have utmost confidence that Duke will beat UNC at Durham (and perhaps at Chapel Hill).
- The second story was the two of the three outstanding teams in the A-10 losing - Dayton falling at home to UMass, and Xavier losing by 19 on the road at Temple. The Xavier loss hurt a lot more (as you can see, I had them fall quite a bit). The Dayton loss didn't do much, except serve as the only bad conference loss they could take. Massachusetts, however, used the win to vault back into the bracket.
- The third story was Drake and Illinois St. winning to set up a match of unbeatens this Saturday at Drake.
- Also of note: Virginia lost to Virginia Tech at home. Just when it seems that the Cavs are on track they lose.
- Iowa St. beat Mizzou. Missouri believers - your faith is unrewarded.
- San Diego St. knocked off Utah to take control of the Mountain West. If by some miracle they could get through their conference with only one loss, they could make a case for an at-large.
- Holy Cross scored 39 at HOME to lose to Army. They will NOT win the conference this year. They look like they don't even belong.
- Mississippi beat Florida. No surprises here.
Now for tonight's games:
- Indiana @ Minnesota: Is either team for real? That remains to be seen.
- Marquette @ Louisville: Winning on the road in the Big East has proved nearly impossible so far. Yet this is what Marquette must do to maintain its lofty status.
- Providence @ Connecticut: Two Big East Bubble teams. UConn really needs a standout win, not just a good effort at G'Town and ND.
- Butler @ Cleveland St.: For control of the Horizon League.
- Kent St. @ Miami (OH): Two teams vying for the MAC title.
- Arizona @ Stanford: This game will be crucial in determining seeding for these two.
- Vanderbilt @ Tennessee: Is Vandy for real? If they can win this game, I'll believe in them. However, I suspect that the Commodores are not ready for the challenges of the SEC. This one is my pick for game of the night.
- IUPUI @ Oral Roberts: For control of the Summit League.
- Boise St. @ Utah St.: Yet another crucial game in the battle for the WAC.