Thursday, February 7, 2008

Top 25 Blogpoll

I've been voting in the Top 25 Blog Poll for the previous three weeks, but I finally decided to start posting my ballot, as well as the final ballot.
Here is a link to the entire blogpoll, with everyone's votes

Please note that this poll came out Tuesday afternoon, so the results of Tuesday and Wednesday are not included. My ballot, followed by blogpoll rank:

1. Memphis (1) - Simply the best. They've occupied the number 1 slot for me ever since the dominating win over the Hoyas. I just have this feeling that they'll be undefeated come tournament time, and get upset sometime in the 2nd or 3rd round. If they make it to the Final Four, they will win it all.

2. Duke (2) - They keep winning, even though analysts insist they have no reason to win. This Duke team is good, and is my choice for a national champion.

3. Tennessee (6) - Nobody has more big wins. Nobody. They'd probably be my number two if they hadn't lost at Kentucky.

4. UCLA (4) - I don't have a good reason to put them here. It just feels right.

5. Kansas (3) - They are dominant, which is why they are up in the top 5. They just have no big win to justify a top 3 ranking.

6. North Carolina (5) - The last of the truly elite teams this year (Georgetown has a claim to that, but I would not put them there yet). However, they have a bad loss and no superior wins. Also, they can't play defense.

7. Texas (12) - An oddball selection for the seven spot, especially after being blown out by the Aggies. This is, however, a team that blew out Tennessee on a neutral-court, beat UCLA on the road, and trounced Saint Mary's. Despite inconsistent play, which will limit the seed they receive, this is the 7th best team.

8. Georgetown (7) - They could be elite... I just haven't seen it. They dominated Notre Dame, but (relatively) poor showings against Syracuse, Pittsburgh, and West Virginia have me wary about the elite status of the Hoyas. Their signature wins so far are home games against the Irish and UConn.

9. Drake (11) - The Bulldogs might be on the level with Texas and Georgetown, but really, this team will go into the tournament mostly untested. Their only loss came to a good St. Mary's team.

10. Stanford (9) - Again, just feels right (as I proved in my last seed list, I am not an authority on anything Pac-10).

11. Wisconsin (8) - I really want to put them lower than 11th, but there exists a rather large gap between these top 11 teams and the next 14. Wisconsin hasn't impressed, but you don't need to be impressive to be good this year.

12. Texas A&M (19) - They started off the year strong, had a three-game slide, and are back on track. This is a good team, and will probably be a Sweet 16 team come tournament time.

13. Kansas St. (18) - The Cat's resume is not worthy of a top 15 ranking. But, with the exception of a let-down game at Mizzou, few teams are playing better than Kansas St. I would take them over many teams.

14. Xavier (10) - See, I do give Xavier some love. They are obviously a dominant team. They just don't have the big wins that other teams do. Also, in retrospect, I realize that I should have switched XU and KSU, but I completely forgot about Xavier's domination of KSU. This will be corrected next week.

15. Butler (13) - Another overrated team that keeps pulling games out. They will be upset in either the first or second rounds. However, I can't justify moving them down in the rankings.

16. Marquette (20) - Reason Why
17. Oklahoma (NR) - I Won't
18. Notre Dame (24) - Move Butler
19. Gonzaga (NR) - Down in
20. Connecticut (17) - My Rankings
21. Louisville (23) - Seriously... those six teams are very arguable. I firmly belive that Marquette should be ahead of Notre Dame, who should be ahead of UConn. If Louisville holds their own against G'Town, they'll probably jump to the head of those 6.

22. Washington St. (16)
23. Indiana (15) - The three most overrated teams in the ballot. I've seen no reason to put them higher.
25. Michigan St. (14)

24. St. Mary's (22) - Beat Gonzaga to make up for the loss at San Diego. Doesn't have a big win to allow them to lose many in-conference games.

In the Poll, not my Ballot
Arizona (21) - What have they done besides schedule well?
Pittsburgh (25) - Losses to Cincy and Rutgers keep them out for me

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Drake and Georgetown are at the same level? Are you kidding me?

Evilmonkeycma said...

They could be. I've not seen Drake play, but I've seen G'town. Georgetown is probably better than Drake, they just haven't shown it this year.

BlackandGreen said...

It's impossible to really tell at this point. If Drake wins out the rest of the season (only loss could be to Butler), it's impossible to make a good argument for or against Drake as a 2 or 3 seed.

How good is St. Mary's? How good is Butler? How good are Creighton and Illinois St.?

Drake is 6th in the nation in terms of RPI. I personally can't imagine they are better than Georgetown, but it is impossible to know for sure. Certainly have to respect your guts putting them at #9.

Anonymous said...

People should read this.