Saturday, January 10, 2009

My internet was gone for two days

So thats why I haven't posted. But I still have

To the Anonymous Reader, commenting about Miami – thanks! I haven’t gotten a chance to watch them, and so I was just going off of Pomeroy’s stats, and the slow pace seemed a bit out of line for Miami, but on second look I can see that it would fit.

Onto the action of the past few nights – it had a few surprises, to say the least.

January 7th
Gonzaga 89, Tennessee 79:
Man, was I wrong about this game. I mean, I knew Gonzaga was good, I just really didn’t think they stomp all over Tennessee in Knoxville. This means that the Zags can move back into the yellow section. Of course, they have to keep rooting for Portland St – if PSU ends the season better than 101 in RPI, then Gonzaga is fine. If they drop below 100, then Gonzaga will have to deal with the stigma of a loss in the 100+ column.

North Carolina 108, College of Charleston 70; Duke 79, Davidson 67
ACC had a good night?

Harvard 82, Boston College 70; Morgan St. 66, Maryland 65
ACC had a real good night!
Really, BC, how do you lose at home by 12? On my gigantic spreadsheet of teams that I finished a few days back, BC is now an awkward color, halfway between pink and peach. Actually, Maryland gets that too now. Others: Kansas, Michigan, Arkansas, Notre Dame. They have bad losses and (will have) great wins. The difference between them? BC and Maryland won’t have multiple great wins. One more unexpected loss, and the Eagles will be dropped from my projections.

Providence 87, Cincinnati 79; Wisconsin 74, Northwestern 45
I think Cincy is done. So is Northwestern. That’s just my feel on those two teams – they are not up to the level of the other teams in their respective conference.

January 8th
Washington 84, Stanford 83
A close game, but Stanford proved that they still deserve to be talked about. Really, besides UCLA, ASU, and Cal, I'm not sure if any other team is going to get in from the Pac-10.

Weber St. 80, Portland St. 66: (@ Portland St)
Well, this won't help the Zags (see earlier comment), nor will it help the Vikings in their quest for an auto-bid - remember the Big Sky has a strange, NFL-esque play-off, with the last two rounds held on the court of the regular season.

Long Beach St 74, Pacific 64: (@ Pacific)
So I suppose I could have been wrong about who would be Big West Champions...

Utah St. 50, Louisiana Tech 37
I actually watched this game during the portion of the BS National Championship that was boring. This game was worse - I must have picked the Aggies' worst game of the season. Nothing else really to say here.

January 9th
St. Mary's 63, Santa Clara 62: (@ St. Mary's)
This does not bode well for the Gaels. They are supposed to enjoy one of the toughest home court environments in all of basketball, and they struggle against Santa Clara. Really, St. Mary's needs to not lose to anyone except Gonzaga.

Moving on to today's games. There are a lot of games of interest simply because most of the leagues are having their first full day of play - ACC, A-10, Big XII, C-USA, MAC, MWC, Patriot, SEC, Southland, WCC.

Kansas @ Michigan St.:
One of the last great non-con games. It should actually be a pretty easy win for the Spartans. Kansas isn't that good - Phog is just impenetrable.

Texas A&M @ Oklahoma St.; Stanford @ Washington St.; Utah @ San Diego St.; Louisville @ Villanova;
Numerous games between potential bubble teams.

Miami (FL) @ Boston College; West Virginia @ Marquette; California @ Washington: Connecticut @ Cincinnati:
Numerous games featuring a solid team on the road against a bubble team.

Duke @ Florida St.:
First ACC road test. I think (Let's Go) DOOOK loses this game.

Oklahoma @ Kansas St.:
First Big XII road test. OU might lose this game, but I doubt it. Kansas St has no one who can match up against Blake Griffin.

Vanderbilt @ Kentucky:
The only slightly interesting SEC game. All of them feature a mediocre team at a better team (except Tennessee @ UGA, but UGA just is horrible).

Seton Hall @ Notre Dame:
Actually, the big cluster up top is mainly a result of me going to this game.

No comments: